Saturday, January 26, 2008

Friends and FUN

Hey everyone! I really love this blog! Whenever I go anywhere I will take a picture and think "oh! that would be a good one to add to my blog!" Thank you to everyone who actually reads it!

So the biggest question I have gotten since I last posted is "who is Sam?" Sam is the most amazing girl who saved my life when I first got here, and I really hope that we get to be really good Friends while I am here. She showed me how to use the buses, and she has shown me this city, and she helped me to buy some essentials i needed, like plates and cups , and food...you know. I will be grateful to her for the rest of my life. She has been the friend i so desperately needed when I first got here. Here is a picture of us when we are driving up to the temple. That things that Sam is feeding me is a famous Cadbury's Creme Egg, and they are SO AMAZING!!!! All of the chocolate is, I don't even know why Americans bother trying to make chocolate, because it's "rubbish" compared to the English stuff, let alone other European chocolate.

The Sun has been coming out recently, something that it hasn't done in quite a while. I have really learned how much I love cloudless days. I think that it is hard to know, when you live in the "Valley of the Sun" but being away has remind me that I do like them just as much as I love rainy days. Anyway here is a great picture I took at sunset in my school.

This next picture I like because it showed what I was talking about with the Old and New being built right next to each other in the city. This church is the oldest building in Birmingham, parts of it were built in the late 1200's!!!! and the big weird shaped building is Selfridges, a HUGE department-like-store-thingSarah is the one who showed me this part of town, she showed me all the shopping. It was so fun I bought a hat and two scarfs ( and other stuff but that's not important). I hate hats and scarfs, but I am learning to like them here! in fact, I LOVE my hat and scarfs. I am sure that you will get to see them in future pictures. Sarah is SO much fun, and I am sure that you will get to see a picture of her soon.

This next picture is one of my FAVORITE activities so far.....

I know that it is blurry, and hard to see anything at all, but it is ok. i think that it is the story that is cooler. This is at the top of a hill, and it is called "Fourstone." It is a lot like Stonehenge. I didn't know this, but apparently all over England there are little "stonehenges." In other words, huge stones, or wood stuck in the ground on end, usually in a circle. I always thought that stonehenge was unique, but it's not!!!! So here you can see me trying to push over this stone that I has been in the ground like that for hundreds of years! We went for FHE. It was me, Kim, Lizzy, Pete, and Gordon. Here is a better picture of some of the group (and my hat!). This is Lizzy, Kara, Pete, and Kim (Gordon has not gotten there yet at this point in the Evening). I really enjoyed that night. The hills in England are really different than Arizona, even though it was the middle of the night, I felt like I was in some Jane Austine film. I hope that I can get pictures of it in the day.

Oh bother! I have SO many pictures I want to put up here, I am feeling a little overwhelmed, I guess that I has better stop for now. But I have done some other activities, like Cannon Hill Park with Kim, and Pete and Kim and I took a trip to "Wilkinson's" which is this store that sells household supplies for cheap. I bought a pillow, which was good, because mine was no good. Today, I didn't have anything to do, and i swore that I would never spend a Saturday here at the dorm so I went into town, and made some discoveries, My favorite was this art gallery/museum. I felt so inspired with life when I was in there.

So, I still need e-mails/letters/packages/phone calls/ ANYTHING! :) and please leave comments! I really like those!

And, just so you have something to look forward too, in my next post I am going to be putting picture of my MUCH improved room, and my flat, and my flatmmates....yay!

1 comment:

erin k said...

I'm so happy I got to talk to you and I hope your test goes good!

I'm glad you have good friends there to take care of you! I want to come visit you...if I figured out a way to come at the end of may or the beginning of June would you let me stay with you?